Healthy eating contributes to the health and vitality of employees and can reduce the risk of developing chronic disease. A supportive healthy eating environment makes it easier for employees to make healthy choices at work.
"In a truly supportive environment, the onus is not placed on employees to consistently resist an unhealthy food environment in order to maintain good health. Instead a supportive environment provides the surroundings and conditions that foster good health and support healthy eating." - Ellen Curitti, MSc. R.D.
Workplaces can create an environment that supports healthy eating.
Click the tabs for steps you can take.
Create a healthy eating policy that is appropriate and relevant to your workplace. This could include:
- Creating a supportive environment for healthy food choices.
- Encourage workers to take coffee and lunch breaks away from their desks or work stations.
- Adopting an Eat Smart Meet Smart policy for meetings, conferences and events.
- Ensure workers know about the policy.
- Get healthy eating advice online,by phone (8-1-1), or email from Dietitian Services at HealthLinkBC
- British Columbia's vending machine policy for public buildings
- Healthy Eating and Weight Management
- Eat Smart Meet Smart tools for catering at meetings, events and conferences
- Visit WellnessFits and sign up for the self-serve program to access the healthy eating module
- Provide interactive learning opportunities such as holding a salad bar potluck or cooking skills classes
- Provide healthy eating talks with a registered dietitian
- Host a week-long Fruit and Vegetable Challenge
- Visit WellnessFits and sign up for the self-serve program to access the healthy eating module’s healthy eating challenge
- Provide kitchen facilities (refrigerator, microwave and sink) for workers to make their own meals and a space where they can eat
- Make sure water is available throughout the day
- Provide healthy food and drink choices (e.g., fresh fruits and vegetables, water, milk, juice) at meetings, events and conferences.
- Ensure healthier choices are available in vending machines and cafeterias
- Visit WellnessFits and sign up for the self-serve program to download a sample workplace healthy eating policy