- 3 lb (1.4 kg) boneless pork shoulder blade roast, cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lb (907 g) orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 oz (227 g) can of low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cooking molasses
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- Head of kale, stemmed and chopped or torn
- Trim pork of visible fat.
- In slow cooker, combine pork, onions, garlic, bay leaves, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper; top with sweet potatoes.
- Whisk together tomato sauce, broth, molasses and vinegar; pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours. Discard bay leaves.
- Whisk flour with approximately 1 cup of the cooking liquid until smooth; combine into slow cooker. Add kale; cook, covered, on high until thickened and kale is wilted, about 30 minutes.
*Adapted from November 2011 Canadian Living recipe ‘Slow Cooker Pork and Sweet Potato Stew’.