Its official! The moment all kids and especially parents have been waiting for is now upon us... SCHOOL IS OUT!!!
In line with last weeks blog, "planning for a healthy and active holiday season", it's important for parents and guardians to plan ahead to ensure a healthy and active holiday season.
How many parents watch their kids waste their holidays away in bed (long sleep-ins), on the couch in front of the TV (TV Marathons) or on the computer (FB, Twitter, Gaming)? If your answer is yes, this is very very common and we need to stand up and do something about it!
Fun Fact: A parent's physical activity beliefs and behaviours can have a significant and positive influence on their children's! -MAKE A DIFFERENCE, BE THE DIFFERENCE!
Why do something?
Sedentary behaviour (e.g. sitting, surfing the net, watching movies, etc) is significantly associated with a variety of chronic diseases and conditions, including but not limited to: heart disease, obesity, hypertension, type II diabetes, breast cancer, colon cancer, osteoporosis, anxiety, depression...and the list goes ON!
MY CHALLENGE TO YOU!
I want to challenge parents across the province to facilitate increased activity and decreased screen-time for themselves as well as their children over this holiday season!
As Gandhi once said: You have to be the change you want to see in this world!
Here are some resources to assist you in the process:
- Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines
- Physical Activity Guidelines
- Amazing Video Highlighting the Best Medicine, Physical Activity!
- Call the Physical Activity Support Line 1-877-725-1149
- Healthy Families BC: Physical Activity Tips
- PAL Fact Sheet: Actions to Increase my Physical Activity
- PAL Fact Sheet: How to Stay Active
- ParticipACTION Resource: Parents Guide to Physical Activity
- ParticipACTION Resource: Fun Tips