A rainbow of colours provides a variety of nutrients in this flavourful vegan dish.
Makes 10 servings
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water (approx.)
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 3⁄4-inch (2 cm) cubes (6 to 8 cups)
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (1⁄2-inch/1 cm cubes)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow bell peppers
- 1 ½ cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 can (19 oz/ 540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 package (10 oz/300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne; sauté for 1 minute or until spices are fragrant.
2. Add broth and deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits. Add eggplant, sweet potatoes, carrots, yellow peppers and red peppers; sauté for 5 minutes. If vegetables begin to stick to the pan, add more broth.
3. Stir in chickpeas, zucchini, raisins and orange juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in spinach, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
4. Meanwhile, place couscous in a large, shallow bowl. Stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
5. Spoon vegetable mixture over couscous and garnish with almonds, lemon zest and lemon juice.
TIP: Chop all the vegetables (except the eggplant) the night before you make this dish to make prep time easier. Store chopped vegetables in the refrigerator.
VARIATIONS: Replace the chickpeas with black beans or kidney beans. Use green bell peppers instead of red or yellow.
Nutrients per serving:
Fat 5.3 g
Carbohydrate 57 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Protein 9 g
Fiber 8 g (32% DV)
Sodium 202 mg (8% DV)
Calcium 102 mg (9% DV)
Iron 2.8 mg (20% DV)
Reprinted with permission © Cook Great Food. Dietitians of Canada. 2001. Published by Robert Rose Inc. Order at www.dietitians.ca/Store.aspx.