Two words: school lunches.
Before you sigh and slump over in defeat, here are some fresh ideas from Andrea Godfreyson that will infuse some flavour into your children's lunch bags.
Some of these may need a little bit of mayo to add moisture. Or experiment with other options like hummus, avocado and different kinds of mustard, pesto and chutney.
The Wrapper: Whole grain tortilla
- Turkey, swiss cheese, spinach, dried cranberries
- Hummus with cucumber, tomato, grated carrot, shredded lettuce
- Leftover taco meat, tomato, lettuce, cheddar cheese and salsa mixed with plain Greek style yogurt to dip
- Chicken, avocado slices, roasted red peppers (can use jarred), sundried tomatoes, spring greens
- Pork tenderloin, apple slices, spinach, honey mustard
- Scrambled eggs mixed with salsa, cheddar cheese and green onion
- Leftover chicken fajita filling (sautéed chicken, peppers and onions), cheddar cheese and salsa to dip
- Cut-up cooked chicken mixed with a touch of mayo and plain yogurt, diced apple and raisins, spinach
- Turkey, sliced pears, edam cheese, honey mustard, spring mix greens
- Cajun shrimp, leftover rice, mango chunks, spinach
- Leftover salmon, roasted potatoes, plain yogurt mixed with fresh or dried dill, spinach
- Roast beef, potato salad, mustard, lettuce
- Canned (rinsed and drained) black beans, salsa, rice, grated cheddar cheese and shredded lettuce
- Roast beef, havarti cheese and shredded cabbage (or use leftover coleslaw)
- Quesadilla (cook beforehand) with beans, cheese, peppers and salsa to dip
The Wrapper: Whole grain pita
- Leftover chicken, rice and tzatziki (or plain Greek style yogurt) with leftover Greek salad (or cut-up tomatoes and cucumbers with a sprinkle of feta cheese)
- Roasted vegetables, pesto and goat cheese (or feta cheese)
- Leftover meatballs with a bit of tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers
The Wrapper: Whole grain bread
- Tuna mixed with a touch of mayo or plain yogurt and diced dill pickles, cucumber, lettuce
- Turkey, edam cheese, apple slices, lettuce
- Chicken, avocado, arugula, pesto
- Turkey or chicken, mango chutney, spinach
Check out these tips for packing safe lunches to make sure your creations stay fresh.