Happy New Year!
2012 was an amazing year and I’m looking forward to an even better 2013. Ready to unleash your potential within this New Year? We look forward to assisting!
In order to take it to the next level, here are some practical tips and motivational words:
- Reflection is essential! Rooted deep in the theory of experiential learning, reflection helps us look back at our past experiences and think critically about our successes and failures. Taking the time to look at what works and what needs tweaking is an essential first step towards improvement. Do you have 30 minutes to reflect on your past year?
- Be honest with yourself and set goals that will make you happy and not those around you happy. This helps you develop intrinsic motivation (motivation from within) towards your goals and as a result you will have more drive to and receive more fulfilment.
- Believe in yourself! Quoting Henry Ford: “Whether you THINK YOU CAN, or think you can’t. YOU’RE RIGHT.”
- Think critically about what it is you want to achieve, write your goals down, apply the SMART goal setting rules, share your goals with friends and family and ask for support.
- Make an effort to evaluate progress and reward yourself along the way. If your goals are SMART, you should be able to measure progress. Some people measure progression yet fail to reward themselves or those around them (e.g. spouse, partner, friend, or colleague) who have also set goals. Celebrating initial accomplishments with friends and family helps foster reflection and also boosts motivation, commitment to the overarching goals, self confidence, and self efficacy!
Do you have tips and tricks that help motivate you to achieve your goals? Please start a discussion below and share your wisdom!
Resources assist you on the way:
PAL Fact Sheet: Goal Setting
PAL Fact Sheet: Health Promotion Strategies
PAL Fact Sheet: How to Stay Active