Most new parents are both anxious and excited about bringing their baby home for the first time.
Here are some tips to help you welcome your newborn:
- Bring your infant car seat into the hospital the day you're going home. Make sure it meets the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for infants, and learn how to use it correctly before your baby is born.
- Have diapers, blankets, clothes and a safe, firm, sleeping space ready at home.
- Plan to share in caring for your baby with your partner.
- Ask your partner to arrange for time off of work and to share in meal preparation and housework.
- Ask friends and family to help with older children and household chores once your baby arrives.
- Plan time to “nest” where you can focus on your new baby.
- Carefully consider any other changes you may be planning for your household. For example, this may not be the best time to get a new pet.
- Ensure that your home is smoke free.
Resources and Links:
Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety: Child Safety