Shine up your favourite pair of sneakers and get ready to embrace their comfort, agility and overwhelming style in the office this week! That’s correct, April 9th-13th is "Sneak it in Week,” so put those sneakers on and get ready to integrate physical activity into your work week!
Lead by ParticipACTION, Sneak it in Week provides Canadians with tools and resources to promote physical activity in and around the workplace.
The program is designed to show individuals how easy it can be to fit physical activities into the daily grind that stimulate the heart and lungs (e.g. walk and talks, small yoga and stretch breaks, errands, or shopping etc.).
Sneak it in Week highlights one of the most important yet disregarded messages from the Canadian Physical Activity Guidlines. What is this message? Even small bouts of physical activity, as tiny as 10 minutes!, can significantly improve your health and fitness if added up over the week to reach the guidelines. This message is based on scientific evidence showing that individuals are able to reap the benefits associated with physical activity when their heart and lungs are stimulated for ten consecutive minutes or more!
Below are some ideas for some sneaky 10 minute bouts that will help improve your health, give you energy for the rest of the day and increase your productivity:
- Get off public transit a couple stops early
- Park in the furthest spot possible
- Walk or run some stairs
- Go shopping or do a couple errands on foot
- Schedule meetings as "walk and talks"
- Reserve the board room for group exercise breakout sessions (JUST 10 MINUTES!)
- Take a walk to the park or zip around the building a couple times for some fresh air and clarity!
- Contact the Physical Activity Line for FREE advice
In order to help organizations promote and champion Sneak it in Week ParticipACTION has provided some amazing free downloads for people and workplaces across the nation to use.
For your convenience, I have placed the individual links below:
- Sneak it in Week Logo
- Closed Circuit TV or Computer Screensaver's
- Back in 10 Minutes, Printable & Foldable Desk Signs!
- Back in 10 Minutes, Printable & Foldable Door Hangs!
Make it a great and active week! Sneak it IN!
References and resources:
ParticipACTION: Sneak it In Week
PAL Fact Sheet: Health Benefits of Physical Activity
PAL Fact Sheet: Choosing the Right Running Shoe
Canadian Physical Activity Guidlines