Busy, busy, busy. It’s a reality of life nowadays. So how do you fit physical activity in? Schedule it! I know many of you have busy routines and only a short time to read this. Here’s some quick advice to help you stay moving.
A good way to see where you can add exercise into your schedule is by reviewing a typical week. Look back in your calendar or day planner to see how and what you’ve been planning. Next, see if you can replace a sedentary activity (web browsing, watching a TV series, a sit down meeting at a coffee shop, ect.) with something more active. Try to think of ways these activities can be modified:
- Shorten your web browsing time by 5 minutes and do some stretching in this newfound time
- Watch one episode or half at a time. Do yard work instead of “binge watching”
- Have a walking meeting instead of sitting
Our bodies need a minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity at one time, or in bouts of 10 minutes throughout the day, to reap the health benefits. Use these ideas to add activity in your busy day:
- Use a smartphone app to track fitness goals. Learn how to use smartphone apps to your advantage. Pedometers, maps, and fitness apps are all a finger-click away.
- Make small changes by going low-tech for everyday tasks. Instead of texting, walk upstairs to talk to your kids or walk over to talk with a colleague instead sending an email.
- Take the dog for longer walks. Responsible dog owners know that their canine friend needs to walk. As you will already be outside, add a few more steps or minutes to your walk, your dogs will love it and it’s good for you.
- Keep it simple. Even small changes and short sessions of physical activity can significantly improve your health. Try these simple tricks to increase your physical activity.
- Fit exercise in around your kid’s schedule. If you have kids, fit in activity around their schedule; be it school, day camp, or day care.
Remember the old saying: where there’s a will, there’s a way? Well this applies to being active. You can do it, and we can help. Give us a call at 1-877-725-1149!
ParticipACTION: Barrier to Active Play: No Time