A great soup recipe for what to do with leftover turkey from the holidays!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 4 stalks of celery, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (350 grams) of cheese tortellini
- 1 pound turkey breast, cooked and diced
- 1 to 2 cans (19 fl oz/540 mL) of pumpkin purée
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and parsnip. Stir occasionally, and cook until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned - about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook until the vegetables are tender -about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and simmer until the tortellini is cooked through. (See package instructions for cooking time.)
- Add the turkey and pumpkin purée and heat through. Season to taste and serve.