Break out a family favourite: tuna casserole! The dish contains a whole lots of ingredients that is good for you and is great for serving large groups, especially a family of four!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 cans (170 g each) chunk light tuna in water, drained
- ¾ cup (175 mL) shredded light old cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) reduced calorie whipped dressing
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- In saucepan of boiling water, cook macaroni for about 6 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and return to saucepan.
- Stir in tuna and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch and pour into macaroni mixture. Stir in dressing, corn, peas and pepper.
- Place into shallow casserole dish. Cover and bake in 375° F (190° C) oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and macaroni is hot.
- Uncover and broil for 2 minutes or until golden, if desired.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 425 Fat: 9 g Saturated: 9 g Cholesterol: 35 mg Sodium: 58 mg Potassium: 407 mg Carbohydrates: 58 mg Fibre: 6 g Protein: 59 g
Reprinted with permission by the Heart and Stroke Foundation.