Growing up I was fortunate that our family would go camping several times each summer. It was nothing fancy; we’d set-up camp at provincial parks and entertain ourselves with beach activities, berry picking, and some hiking. Sure, we got dirty and got one too many mosquito bites, but the memories of spending time together as a family and having lots of fun were worth it!
If the whole family is going camping, simple low cost items like a Frisbee™, beach or sports ball can get everyone off their lounge chairs and playing games together. A pail and shovel for playing in the sand and making sandcastles can provide hours of fun. For those heading out with a partner or a group of friends, pack your running shoes for jogs or hikes, and a swim suit for the beach (don’t forget the sunscreen!).
Here are a few articles for more inspiration for your long weekend adventures:
- Hiking: Your Route to Adventure and Health: Learn how hiking benefits all aspects of wellbeing. There are also tips on pacing, logistics and gear.
- Embrace Beautiful BC this Long Weekend: Need ideas to get active over the May long-weekend? This blog has a list that guarantees to please all and get you moving.
- Let’s Dive into Water Activities: BC is surrounded by lakes, rivers and the ocean. Cool off and jump into water based sport with the guidance of this post.
- The Temperature is Rising So Get Outdoors! With the warm weather here to stay, refresh your mind and look back at some classic activities to do outdoors this summer.
- Outdoor Play: It’s a fact, kids of all ages love being outdoors. Find out why nature is the perfect playground for your toddler, pre-schooler, or school age child!
- Plan Ahead for an Active Summer: School’s out and summer’s in! Read on to see how kids can stay active over the summer break.
At the end of the day, it’s easy to get caught up with daily routines; give your mind and body a reboot by enjoying our beautiful province this long weekend.
BC Parks: Find a Park