Can you feel winter in the air?
Brr…it's time to cook up some satisfying root vegetables.
I like root vegetables because they're simple, soothing and affordable. Root vegetables like turnips, beets and potatoes are hearty staple foods that have carried many societies through the cold depths of winter.Beyond simply being a great source of energy giving carbohydrates, root vegetables are also a good source of potassium and vitamin C. Beets, carrots and sweet potatoes are also high in carotenoids, which are converted to vitamin A in the body.
Common root vegetables include:
- Sweet potato
- Celeriac (celery root)
- Potatoes (tubers not roots)
Here are some ideas for ways to prepare the root vegetables in your kitchen.
Five delicious ways to cook root vegetables:
- Mashed/pureed: Try mashed parsnip or celeriac.
- Roasted: Roasted rutabagas. Say that five times fast.
- Baked: Jacket potatoes are a winner with kids.
- Soup: Curried sweet potato soup is great.
- Braised: Check out my favourite recipe!