Take advantage of the marvelous fresh, colourful and tasty berries available in many parts of Canada during the summer. This is an ideal breakfast treat, and is perfect for a light dessert as well.
Makes 4 servings
Summertime Fruit Salad:
- 1 cup (250 ml) Blueberries
- 1 cup (250 ml) Raspberries
- 1 cup (250 ml) sliced strawberries
- 1 cup (250 ml) blackberries or Saskatoon berries
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) toasted and finely chopped hazelnuts (optional)
Vanilla Maple Yogurt Dressing:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light sour cream
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) pure maple syrup
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
1. In a bowl, gently combine blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries.
2. Dressing: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, sour cream, maple syrup and cinnamon. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
3. Place 1 cup (250 mL) berry mixture in each serving bowl. Top each with 2 tbsp (30 mL) dressing and 2 tsp (10 mL) hazelnuts (if using).
Nutrients Per Serving
- Calories 104
- Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fats 0.6 g
- Sodium 26 mg (1% DV)
- Carbohydrate 22 g
- Fibre 6 g (24%DV)
- Protein 3 g
- Calcium 87 mg (8% DV)
- Iron 0.8 mg (6%DV)
Reprinted with permission © Cook! Dietitians of Canada. 2011. Published by Robert Rose Inc. Order at http://www.amazon.ca/Dietitians-Canada-Cook-Recipes-Celebrate/dp/0778802612 or visit www.dietitians.ca/