Adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, by Mark Bittman
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil or melted butter
- 454 g (1 lb.) turnips, rutabaga or other root vegetable, cut into chunks
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of low-sodium vegetable broth
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Parsley, chopped (optional garnish)
- In a sauce pan, combine the first 3 ingredients and lightly season with pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the root vegetables are tender. Add extra vegetable broth if it all evaporates to prevent burning.
- Remove the lid and raise the heat to boil off most of the liquid. The vegetables will become glazed with a combination of the olive oil (or butter) and the pan juices.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if required. Top with lemon juice and parsley