Your family and friends will never know that bran cereal is one of the ingredients in these delicious crunchy cookies.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 7 to 9 minutes.
Makes 42 Cookies (1 per serving)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup bran cereal(not flakes)
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Baking sheets, ungreased.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, margarine and brown sugar. Fold in flour mixture. Stir in oats, bran cereal and chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls (15 mL), about 2 inches (5 cm) apart, onto baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until just crisp. Let cool on baking sheets on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.
Tips: When using margarine, choose a non- hydrogenated version to limit consumption of trans fats
Nutrients per serving:
- Calories 94
- Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Sodium 44 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrate 18 g
- Fiber 3 g
Reprinted with permission © Simply Great Food. Dietitians of Canada. 2007. Published by Robert Rose Inc. Order at http://www.amazon.ca/Dietitians-Canada-Cook-Recipes-Celebrate/dp/0778802612 or visit www.dietitians.ca/Store.aspx.