This elegant supper for two is simplicity itself. The entire meal is prepared in a steamer and ready in 15 minutes.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup small new red potatoes, quartered (250 mL)
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1-inch (25 cm) pieces (250 mL)
- 2 4-oz (125 g) fish fillets, about 1 inch (25 cm) thick
- 1/3 cup julienned tomatoes (preferably Roma) (75 mL)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp dried basil or tarragon (1 to 2 mL)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp butter (5 mL)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (5 mL)
1. Place potatoes in a large steamer set over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam for 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are beginning to soften but are not yet cooked.
2. Place asparagus on top of potatoes. Place fish fillets on top of asparagus. Top with tomatoes; sprinkle with basil and pepper. Cover and steam for 5 to 6 minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Dot with butter; cover and steam for 30 seconds or until butter is melted. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Season to taste with salt.
TIPS: Substitute 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) of your favorite fresh herbs for the dried herbs. If asparagus is out of season, use fresh green beans instead.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 189
- Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Sodium 106 mg
- Protein 25 g
- Carbohydrate 16 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Very High in: niacin, vitamin B6, folacin, vitamin B12, magnesium
- High in: vitamin C, thiamine, iron
- Source of: vitamin A, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, calcium, zinc, fibre
Reprinted with permission © Great Food. Dietitians of Canada. 2000. Published by Robert Rose Inc. http://www.dietitians.ca/Store.aspx