I secretly love cold rainy nights as I feel totally justified in curling up on the couch and watching a good (or not so good) movie. Last Sunday night was sufficiently dreary so I set up my station on the couch, complete with pillows, a blanket and a hot cup of tea. I flipped on the air popper to make my popcorn and waited expectantly. The kernels endlessly spun around and darkened in colour but never reached their fully popped potential. Apparently my popper had popped its last pop. The truth is, usually I don’t “need” snacks when I watch a movie. Within the first few minutes, I am so engrossed in the film that I don’t really pay attention to what I am eating or drinking. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in having polished off a bowl of popcorn without realizing it – that is until my hand went in to the bowl and came up empty.
On this occasion, given that supper was a distant memory, I was hungry and needed something. So, I came up with a plan B (and C, and D… - it’s hard for me to stop once I start).
Looking for snacks for your next movie night?
Here are ten healthy options:
- Air popped popcorn sprinkled with parmesan cheese
- Apple and cheese slices
- Edamame (A favourite! Look for these in the freezer section of the grocery store)
- Homemade yogurt parfaits (Try plain or flavoured yogurt, chopped up fresh or frozen fruit and a sprinkle of granola or nuts)
- Frozen all-fruit popsicles (Buy these or make your own with pureed fruit)
- Cut up veggies and dip
- Homemade pita or tortilla chips with salsa or guacamole
- Little bowl of dried fruit, nuts and dry cereal
- Cut up fruit with yogurt dip
- Hot chocolate made with milk
What does movie night look like at your house?
All I Wanted to Was a Tea