These lunch box granola bars make a healthy snack for lunch or when you are on the go!
Makes: 24 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) raisins, chocolate chips or your favourite dried fruit
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) applesauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Oil a 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, flax seed, brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, sunflower seeds and salt. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, egg, canola oil, applesauce and vanilla. Add liquid ingredients to well and mix. Pat the mixture evenly into a prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated: 0.5 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
- Sodium: 55 mg
- Potassium: 103 mg
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
For original listing visit - http://www.healthcheck.org/recipe/lunchbox-granola-bars
Reprinted with permission by the Heart and Stroke Foundation.