This may sound like an odd combination but, give it a try - it's delicious!
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil pesto
- 4 slices whole-grain or multigrain bread, toasted
- 1 can (7 ½ oz or 213 g) water-packed light tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 1 red onion, sliced (optional)
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Spread 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) pesto over each bread slice. Divide tuna evenly on top. Top each with 1 tomato slice, 1 red onion slice (if using) and one-quarter of the cheese.
2. Broil until tuna is heated through and cheese is melted.
Tip: Check the weight of bread slices: Canada’s Food Guide uses 35 g as one bread serving, but many bread slices weigh 45 g or more.
Variation: Vary the cheese to your liking. For example, try Havarti with jalapeño peppers or Oka.
Nutrients per serving: Calories 216 Fat 6.9 g Saturated Fat 2.3 g Sodium 476 mg (20% DV) Carbohydrate 22 g Fibre 3 g (12% DV) Protein 17 g Calcium 151 mg (14% DV) Iron 2.2 mg (16% DV)
Reprinted with permission © Cook! Dietitians of Canada. 2011. Published by Robert Rose Inc. Order at: http://www.amazon.ca/Dietitians-Canada-Cook-Recipes-Celebrate/dp/0778802612 or http://www.dietitians.ca/Store.aspx