Last minute shopping at this time of year has a striking similarity to how I picture the zombie apocalypse. When I consider the idea of braving the mall, I shudder at the thought of a retail wilderness overrun by zombies scavenging for gifts with panic escalating as time runs out.
I have to admit that I sometimes find myself contributing to the chaos, scouring stores for hours for a gift I think someone will love. I typically don’t quit until I have exhausted the possibilities and myself. I don’t need a mirror to know that feeling like a zombie is translating into looking like one.
To avoid this rather unbecoming state, as well as a not so joyous experience, here’s a list of ideas that people will love. Gifts people can use that will help them feel good and meet their health goals all year round - now that is the spirit of the season!
Add joy to cooking:
- Personalized lunch bag or funky tote to carry their lunch to school/work
- Microplane zester (great for citrus, ginger, garlic, hard cheese or chocolate)
- Bottle with a pouring spout for homemade salad dressings or vegetable oils
- Garlic press
- Tongs with nylon heads (a must have for every kitchen and good for all surfaces)
- Meat thermometer
- Timer (no more overcooked eggs!)
- Cookbook holder to free up hands and space in the kitchen
- Measuring cups and jugs
- Salad spinner (not just for lettuce – you can use it for herbs, grated zucchini or potato, etc)
- Air popper for popcorn
- Chef’s knife to make chopping a breeze
- Colourful mixing bowls
- Cool pepper mill (mini versions are also super cute for lunch bags)
- Mandolin slicer (makes fancy thin slices, matchsticks or waffle cuts of vegetables)
- Your favourite cookbook
- Immersion hand blender (puree soups right in the pot and make quick applesauce)
- Cast-iron casserole dish or a slow cooker
- Big salad bowl with fun tongs
Gift giving shouldn’t feel like the end of the world. Avoid the zombie apocalypse and use this list to treat your loved ones to gifts that help them feel good all year round.
Stay tuned for Thursday’s post where I will give you all the hot gift ideas you need to add joy to activity.