Some British Columbians think that becoming more physically fit means having to dig into their wallet. This doesn’t have to be the case. There is all kinds of free help and ideas to get into shape. We take a look at some creative ways to exercise on a budget with this week’s blog.
Frugal Tip # 1: To get screened by a Qualified Exercise Professional and receive a personalized exercise prescription FOR FREE, call the Physical Activity Line (PAL) , 8-1-1.
- For safety, it’s important that you're screened by a professional prior to starting an exercise program. Screening helps determine the appropriate exercise prescription and provides a valuable opportunity to gain important information on how to improve your health.
Frugal Tip # 2: Use your community recreation centers & libraries.
- Commercial gyms don't mingle with everyone’s budget; however, our community centers are there to support us! Families with low income or individuals with disabilities should ask their local community centers about fee subsidy and access programming. Most centers will work with low income families to set fees individually.
- If you don't qualify for low income, drop in rates are reasonable and the programming is often fun and tailored to your needs!
- Libraries have great books and DVD's on exercise, USE THEM! PS. you can always call PAL for advice on which books/DVDs are best for you!
Frugal Tip # 3: Parks, trails and ocean views are FREE in this province! Use them for your workouts!
- Kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone (figuratively) by getting outdoors and combining aerobics, strength and flexibility activities into one family outing!
- Example: 1) Brisk walk or jog for 2-3 minutes 2) Stop take a breather and stretch all major muscle groups 3) Do calisthenics (own body weight exercises) for 3-5 minutes (e.g. push-ups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, step ups) 4) Stop take another breather and stretch all muscle groups 5) repeat steps 1-4, two to six times based on your fitness level.
- Call PAL for more info.
To foster discussion, please comment below and show us how you engage in physical activity that doesn't break the bank.
Keep Positive, Keep Smiling, and KEEP MOVING!