Schools out, kids are home, family members and old friends are in from out of town and the holidays are in full swing!
Last week the Healthy Families BC team and I challenged parents across BC to include increased activity and decreased screen-time for themselves as well as their children over this holiday season.
In line with this challenge, I'm promoting a great and exceptionally healthy method for families to reunite with each other and their close friends.
What is this amazing catching up tool? I'll give you some hints:
- It's fun, easy to do (most people can do this regardless of age) and it's FREE!
- It helps improve cholesterol and blood sugar profiles
- It increases the function of our heart and lungs
- It helps to strengthen and optimize our muscles, bones and joints
- It helps us maintain a healthy weight and decreases the amount of fat we store!
- It helps our immune system and allows us to recover from exertion, stress, illness and or injury much faster
- It assists in keeping our mood positive, improves our psychological well-being and increases our energy!
I'm sure by now most of you are looking at this list and seeing a few familiar items. In addition, I'm sure that some if not all of these items were on most of our holiday wish-lists for our family and friends.
So if you want to give the gift that keeps on giving (i.e. good health) this holiday season and catch up with your friends and family in a meaningful way... bundle up, get outside and go for a few nice long WALKS!!!
Here are some great resources to assist you: