The BC Day Long Weekend is upon us and this is the perfect time to get outdoors and celebrate the beauty that our province has to offer.
Did you know that parts of BC are the most active in the country? One of these reasons is that there are so many accessible activity opportunities at our doorstep.
We’re truly lucky to have these opportunities and beautiful vistas. I encourage you to get outside and get moving with family and friends this long weekend!
Here are a few ideas:
- hit the trails for a walk, jog or hike - www.walkbc.ca is a great resource
- set up a scavenger hunt in and around your neighbourhood or go geocaching
- get out on the water for a paddle! If you don't have a canoe, kayak or paddleboard, rentals are affordable and it will be a memorable experience
- hit the shoreline and collect shells and search for marine life
- cast a line into a local river, lake, or body of water and enjoy the day fishing
- have a beach activity day: build castles, play soccer, volleyball, badminton, frisbee, or paddleboard
- shine up your bikes, put your helmets on and go for an adventure on two wheels - here’s a great blog highlighting bike safety and resources
- get the gang together and hit the local park for a game of baseball, soccer, and or football (if you’re really adventurous why don't you try all three!)
- if fido is feeling left out, head to the park for a session of catch and calisthenics - here’s a great resource on exercising with your dog
I encourage you to start a discussion below and share your favorite ways to get active on long weekends with your friends and family in an effort to inspire movement.
Ps. Don’t forget to contact the Physical Activity Line for more creative ideas on how to get moving safely and effectively with friends and family!
Keep positive, keep smiling, and keep moving!