This quick and easy to make chicken dish is perfect for dinner and your family will love it!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
Make-ahead tip: Before baking, let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw before baking. Add about 10 minutes to baking time. To cook rice: Bring 1½ cups (375 mL) water and ¾ cup (175 mL) brown rice to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is fluffy. Makes 2 cups (500 mL).Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soft non-hydrogentated margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-fat milk, heated
- ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded light Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked brown rice
- In large saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, green onions, jalapeño pepper, chili powder and oregano, stirring for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Whisk in hot milk; cook, whisking often, until sauce begins to boil and thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley, coriander and tomato paste. Stir in cheese, until melted.
- Spread half of the sauce into shallow 8-inch (2 L) square casserole; top with rice then chicken. Cover with remaining sauce.
- Bake, covered, in 400° F (200° C) oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 10 minutes or until bubbling and top is slightly golden.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 338 Fat: 11 g Saturated: 4 g Cholesterol: 58 mg Sodium: 249 mg Potassium: 576 mg Carbohydrates: 31 g Fibre: 3 g Protein: 28 g
Reprinted with permission by the Heart and Stroke Foundation.