Aspiring Canadian athletes will soon be competing in the 2015 Canada Winter Games taking place February 13th to March 1st. This year is particularly exciting as they will be held in Prince George, BC - the first time a British Columbian city has hosted the Canada Winter Games!
Not only do the Canada Games bring the thrill of seeing our country’s up-and-coming athletes compete on a national stage, they bring awareness to the importance of physical activity and sport participation.Here are three ways you can get to be a part of the action:
1) Discover a new winter activity. Take inspiration from the variety of sports that will be at the Games. With 19 different sports ranging from Ice Hockey to Cross Country Skiing and Table Tennis to Ringette, you’re bound to find an activity you’d like to try. Check out these blogs for ideas on staying active for the remainder of the winter:
- Physical Activity in Cold Weather
- Smooth as Ice… Skating for Your Health
- How to Dress for Winter Activities
- Tips to Prevent Winter Sports Injuries
2) Learn from participating athletes. These athletes can be role-models for eating right, being physically active and living healthy. Follow in the footsteps of these athletes by taking steps in your own life to improve well-being. For ideas on getting started with your healthy living goals, read:
3) Show your support. Having an energetic and engaged audience can inspire athletes to give it everything they’ve got. These athletes have been training for years getting ready for this competition. If you get the chance to watch some of the 2015 Canada Winter Games, proudly cheer on athletes to show your support.
Join the residents of Prince George, athletes and supporters from across the country to cheer on our nation’s athletes. Use this great event as motivation to find a new activity to try and add physical activity to your daily routine. Follow the Canada Games on Twitter @2015CanadaGames for updates, and tell us what events inspire you @TeamPAL and @Healthyfamilybc.