Ever wonder what our Premier cooks after a long day when she's tired, hungry and needs a fast and healthy meal? Try her recipe below. It's fast, it's easy, it's healthy and - did we mention - it's delicious too!
Makes approx 4 servings
This stir-fry is served over brown rice.
- 2 chicken breasts (approx 300 g), boneless with skin removed
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil - (e.g. olive, peanut, grape seed, canola)
- 500 g veggies - broccoli, peppers, carrots, snow peas, mushrooms etc
- 100 ml chicken broth, no salt added
- 1 orange
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger (approx 3 inch piece) or 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 Tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- Pepper to taste
- Prepare veggies - cut into small pieces. Put on a plate separating the harder veggies (carrots) from the softer ones (peppers).
- Peel the orange. Cut the fruit into chunks and blend in blender.
- Grate ginger finely, measure and set aside.
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Set aside on a plate.Cooking
- Heat pan with oil. Fry chicken on medium - high heat until cooked and no longer pink inside. Remove from pan and set aside on clean plate.
- Return pan to the heat. Add the veggies, the harder ones first. Let cook a few mintues before adding softer veggies. Add soft veggies and cook a few minutes more. Add the chicken broth. Place lid on pan and steam for approx 3 minutes.
- Remove lid. Add blended orange, ginger, soy sauce and cooked chicken. Stir together. Replace lid and cook 2 more minutes until veggies are tender and chicken is hot.
- Remove lid, season with pepper and serve over cooked brown rice.
HOW TO PREP THE RICE:
- 175 ml brown wholegrain rice (10 minute quick cooking rice)
- 425 ml chicken broth, no salt added
Cook rice as per package directions.
- Combine rice and chicken broth in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Stir and cover with the lid. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. With lid on, set aside until all water is absorbed or about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.
For added flavour, you may want to try:
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Minced garlic (add to the veggies or chicken while cooking)