Hello Everyone! I would like to start off by thanking the Healthy Families BC team for bringing me onboard. I look forward to working together to help British Columbians increase their health through physical activity education, motivation and positive reinforcement.
I thought that it would be helpful to start the first blog series with a focus on "Overcoming Barriers to Physical Activity". The goals of the next couple of postings will be to:
- Outline the most common barriers people face when trying to add activity into their daily lives
- Create conversation by inviting readers (yup that's you) to share their personal barriers to activity
- Provide a variety of tips, tricks & strategies to help overcome these barriers
- Stimulate conversation between readers to allow everyone to learn from each other's successes (Note: everyone is different, with differing knowledge, skills, interests and free time so we can learn a lot from each other!).
So what are the most common barriers (sometimes excuses) to physical activity and healthy living pursuits that healthy living experts encounter on a daily basis?
- Not enough TIME in the day to fit activity into my busy and demanding schedule
- Lack of ENERGY
- No MONEY
- No MOTIVATION
- No SUPPORT from friends and family
- Lack of reliable information for safe and optimal physical activity
- Bad weather
I encourage you to post your current barriers to physical activity. I will then use these responses to target the next couple of blog postings to help you overcome the most common barriers as well as your own.
Keep Positive, Keep Smiling and KEEP MOVING!