Not only is this soup delicious and nutritious, it is quick and easy to make. It looks elegant when garnished and can be served all year round.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (stems and florets) 500 mL
- 2 cups chicken broth 500 mL
- 1 cup buttermilk 250 mL
- 1/2 tsp dried basil 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon 2 mL
- Salt and black pepper to taste, small broccoli florets, lower fat plain yogurt, chives, shredded cheddar cheese
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, cook broccoli in chicken broth for 10 minutes or until tender. Refrigerate in broth until chilled.
In a food processor or blender, purée chilled mixture, buttermilk and seasonings until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Reheat just to serving temperature, or chill and serve as cold soup. Serve garnished with broccoli, yogurt, chives and Cheddar cheese.
TIP: This is a great way to use leftover broccoli.
Dietitian's Message: Another delicious way to add a serving of vegetables to your daily plan. Serve this soup with Creamy Salmon Quiche, a tossed green salad and whole-wheat rolls. Finish with a seasonal dessert. Your meal will be abundant in folic acid, vitamins A and C, and calcium.
NUTRIENTS per serving:
- Calories 38
- Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Sodium 355 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrate 5 g
- Fiber 1 g
- High in: vitamin C, folacin
- Source of: vitamin A, riboflavin, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium
Reprinted with permission © Cook Great Food. Dietitians of Canada. 2001. Published by Robert Rose Inc. http://www.dietitians.ca/Store.aspx