The holidays are in full swing, most families are reunited, and some quality catch up time is being spent all over the country now that the shopping madness is over.
If you're getting tired of watching movie after movie, and sitting by the fireplace roasting marshmallows, here are seven tips to get active with the family and relieve the aches and pains of sitting all day.
- Go to your local ski hill for the day. There’s always something fun for everyone. You can get gnarly and hit the slopes on skis or snowboards, you can go tobogganing, you can get some quality aerobics in with a cross country ski session, or hike up some hills with snowshoes.
- Hit the local rink for some public ice skating, stick and puck, or a family figure or power skating lesson.
- Get the gang together for a game of winter touch football, or soccer. Especially fun after a nice snowfall.
- Speaking of snow, bundle up and make a snowman and a fleet of snow angles with the whole family.
- Looking for something indoors and out of the ordinary for the entire fam? Ever consider becoming one with your body and taking the gang to a yoga class? This will be something everyone remembers. Yoga is an amazing activity for everyone and can be individually tailored to all fitness levels.
- Miserable outside? Try the local indoor pool out for a morning or afternoon of activity. The kids are always well behaved (and hungry!) after a couple hours of swimming.
- For those with limited abilities, walking is one of the best activities out there. Get the family together and go for a nice long walk. If the conditions are terrible outside, you can always find a local mall to get some quality steps in, just watch out for your wallet :P
If you're wanting to make your children happier, healthier, stronger, & more confident, don’t forget to BRING BACK PLAY. Follow the link for fun ways to do so.
Don't forget to bundle up. Here are some tips on how to prepare for winter activities.
References & Resources
The Physical Activity Line: Let's Bring Back Play