Call up your family and friends. It’s time to get together with tasty food in the great outdoors! Whether you’re hosting or a guest, here are healthy food ideas for your next sunny-patio potluck, park picnic, or backyard barbecue.
- Use fresh herbs: add a splash of flavour to your dishes – try cilantro on grilled chicken, sprinkle parsley on coleslaw, or add sweet basil to anything with tomatoes. More ideas.
- Take a dip: a potluck isn’t a potluck without some form of a dip! Try homemade Hummus or one of these Sizzling Salsas.
- Get creative with pasta salad: combine cooled pasta with veggies, cheese, meat, or seafood. Experiment with flavour combinations! Here are six for inspiration.
- Grill fish instead of burgers or hotdogs: BC fish puts a twist on the standard barbecue menu and is naturally low in sodium and saturated fats. Here are techniques for cooking fish, or try this recipe for Salmon a la West Coast.
- Kabob it up: grab some kabob skewers and thread them with veggies, fruit, meat, or seafood to throw on the barbecue. Try Polynesian Pork Kabobs or Greek Veggie Kabobs.
Sweeten the deal with fruit: fruit is the ultimate healthy dessert. And there’s so much you can do with it, like Fruit Gazpacho – an easy-to-make, refreshing summer dessert that looks as good as it tastes.