Between 18 and 24 months, your toddler is taking huge strides (literally and figuratively!), and becoming very independent. Here's what else you can expect in this six-month period.
Between 18-24 months, your toddler is likely to:
- Kick a ball.
- Squat while playing.
- Walk backwards or sideways while pulling a toy.
- Back into a chair to sit down.
- Ride a small-wheeled toy
- Carry a large toy while walking
- Remove lids from containers.
- Nest cups and boxes inside each other.
- Take off shoes, hat, and socks.
- String large beads with two hands.
- Raise and drink from a cup, then put it back on the table.
Play and Activity
Your toddler loves to play. Spend lots of time outdoors in safe places, like a toddler playground. Try running and kicking balls and playing with toys that allow your toddler to push and pedal.
Here are some other ways to encourage your toddler's physical development:
- Continue to breastfeed.
- Look for child sized versions of adult things, such as furniture, a soccer ball, a plastic baseball and bat, or garden tools.
- Play with your toddler by pretending to be an animal: "hop like a frog, fly like a bird, and jump like a rabbit."
- Describe your toddler’s movements and actions as he does them. If your toddler climbs the stairs, say, "You’re climbing the stairs."
- Play different kinds of music for your toddler to dance to, such as marches, rock 'n' roll, and waltzes.
- Encourage your toddler to dress and undress on her own.
- Only help when needed.
- Provide lots of containers during bath time.
- Offer activities that require sorting of shapes.
- Offer items like finger paints, paints and easels, ride on toys, and push pull toys.
Other Physical Milestones
Between 18 and 24 months your toddler may also:
- Walk on tiptoes.
- Throw and retrieve objects.
- Jump in place with both feet.
- Catch a large ball.
- Open doors by turning knobs.
- Copy straight or circular strokes with a crayon.
- Snip with child sized scissors.
- Fold paper in half.
Resources and Links:
HealthLink BC: Growth and Development, Ages 12 to 24 Months