As soon as your toddler is 12 months old, start to sit together at mealtimes to model healthy habits.
Offer an assortment of food three to four times a day, plus one or two snacks.
Daily Food Suggestions for 12-24 Months
Milk and Alternatives
- Breast milk.
- About 500 ml (2 cups) whole milk if your toddler is no longer breastfeeding.
- Offer milk products (yogurt, cottage cheese, pasteurized cheese, etc.).
- 25-50 g (1-2 oz.) pasteurized cheese.
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cottage cheese.
- 75-175 g (1/3-3/4 cup) yogurt.
- Choose 100% whole grain products.
- Offer five to six times each day.
- 1/2 to 1 slice bread, bannock, tortilla, roti.
- 125-250 ml (1/2-1 cup) whole grain cereal.
- 75-125 ml (1/3-1/2 cup) hot cereal, cooked pasta, rice, congee.
Vegetables and Fruit
- Choose at least one dark green and one orange vegetable.
- Offer five or more times each day.
- 1/2 to 1 medium sized vegetable or fresh fruit.
- 30-60 ml (2-4 tbsp.) fresh, cooked or mashed fruit.
- 60-125 ml (1/4-1/2 cup) cooked vegetables.
- 60-125 ml (1/4-1/2 cup) raw vegetables.
- Juice is not necessary for your toddler. If you decide to give juice, choose 100% unsweetened juice and offer it in a cup as part of a meal or snack. Limit to no more than 125-175 ml (1/2-3/4 cup) per day.
Meat and Alternatives
- Offer two to three times each day.
- 30-60 ml (2-4 tbsp.) well cooked, ground, chopped, or cubed lean meat, fish, or poultry.
- 30-60 ml (2-4 tbsp.) of mashed legumes.
- 1 whole egg.
- 50-100 g (3-6 tbsp.) tofu or tempeh.
- 15 g (1 tbsp.) peanut or nut butter.
Daily Food Suggestions for 24-36 Months
Recommended Daily Food Guide Servings for toddlers 24-36 months:
- Vegetables and Fruits - 4 servings
- Grain Products - 3 servings
- Milk and Alternatives - 2 servings
- Meat and Alternatives - 1 serving
Resources and Links:
HealthLink BC: Meal and Snack Ideas for Your 1 to 3 year old Toddler
HealthLink BC: Helping Your 1 to 3 Year Old Toddler Eat Well
HealthLink BC: Healthy Eating Guidelines for Your Vegetarian Toddler 1 to 3 years