These colourful kebabs are perfect for casual entertaining or for a special family meal.
Makes 4 servings
- Eight 8-inch (20 cm) wooden skewers
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) sodium-reduced soya sauce
- 2 Tbsp (25 ml) lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (25 ml) liquid honey or brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean pork loin or tenderloin, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger OR 1/2 tsp (2 ml) of minced ginger root
1. In a medium bowl, combine soya sauce, lemon juice, honey, oil and ginger; add pork cubes, tossing to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.
2. Thread skewers alternately with pieces of pork, pineapple, red pepper and green pepper. Brush kebabs with marinade; discard any left over.
Preheat barbecue or broiler. Barbecue kebabs over medium-high heat, turning once, for 10 to 12 minutes or until pork is just slightly pink in the center. Alternatively, grill under broiler, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Reprinted with permission © Cook Great Food. Dietitians of Canada. 2001. Published by Robert Rose Inc.
Order at http://www.amazon.ca/Dietitians-Canada-Cook-Recipes-Celebrate/dp/0778802612 or visit www.dietitians.ca/Store.aspx to order 20 or more copies.