"iWalk" - That's right, International Walk to School Month!
Why? Well, iWalk is way more than putting your runners on and taking the kids for a leisurely walk to school.
It provides a valuable opportunity for education through experience that promotes long lasting community change throughout the world.
(WOW this is awesome!)
Here are some of the iwalk Goals:
Goal 1: Promote health through physical activity.
- iwalk events teach children how to walk safely, identify safe walking routes, as well as provide opportunity for health education on the benefits of walking.
- Fun Fact: Parents physical activity behaviors are a significant influence on their children’s. Use this month to promote walking to school as a method to improve your children’s current health and PREVENT future health complications.
- Old Chinese Proverb: Take 99 steps after breakfast and you will live to be 100!
Goal 2: Raise community awarenes
- Help bring attention of the current walkability of the community and any enhancements that may need to be made. Check out some of the walking trails and paths in your community.
- Fun Fact: Walkability indices are significantly correlated to certain health parameters (e.g. Body Mass Index, BMI) of the residents. This being said, a more walkable community leads to more activity and by default healthier residents!
Goal 3: Raise concern for the environment.
- The route to school offers very valuable time to discuss the surrounding nature and teach children how to understand the environmental benefits of walking and the environmental hazards of fuel combustion.
Goal 4: Reduce crime and take back neighborhoods for people on foot.
Goal 5: Reduce traffic congestion, pollution, and speed near schools.
Goal 6: Share valuable time with local community leaders, parents, and children.
My challenge to you: Embrace iwalk and share your experience with the Healthy Families BC Community below!
PS. IMPORTANT NOTE: October 10th 2012 is international walk to school day! Get involved! Keep Positive, Keep Smiling, and Keep MOVING!
References & Resources:
• Healthy Schools BC: iWalk
• iwalk home page
• For educators wanting to make the most out of walk to school month, iwalk.org has provided this guide to assist you with fun and exciting ideas.